content-left-bg.png
content-right-bg.png

History

WebPartZone1_1
PublishingPageContent

The students and staff of Emerald State School are justifiably proud of its long history of educating the children of Emerald.

Emerald State School was established on November 3, 1879 on the same site as the present school. 

Over the years attendances have fluctuated with the town’s progress. In early days, most of the pupils were the children of railway workers. Emerald remained largely a railway town until the late 1960’s and early 1970’s when the Fairbairn Dam was built and cotton farms were established. Further growth in the late 1970’s occurred when the Gregory Mine opened and 19 classes were crowded into the school! The situation was relieved when Emerald North State School opened in 1980. When more mines brought hundreds of families to town in the mid 1990’s, the school again reached 550 pupils and the opening of Denison State School in 1997 helped by halving the numbers. 

Today we have a student body of 320 students from prep to year 6 with a range of cultural and social backgrounds. 

WebPartZone1_2
WebPartZone2_1
WebPartZone2_2
WebPartZone2_3
WebPartZone3_1
WebPartZone3_2
WebPartZone3_3
WebPartZone3_4
WebPartZone4_1
WebPartZone5_1
WebPartZone5_2
WebPartZone6_1
WebPartZone6_2
WebPartZone7_1
WebPartZone7_2
WebPartZone8_1
WebPartZone8_2
WebPartZone9_1
Last reviewed 26 February 2020
Last updated 26 February 2020